Our Roman Holiday

11:53


This year I got to visit Rome, it's the one place I've always wanted to go! I have to admit one of the main reasons I've wanted to go is because my favourite film of all time is 'Roman Holiday'. I'm a massive fan of one Miss Hepburn and Gregory Peck. And I think they're just a wonderful match in this.

The film is full of charm, comedy, rebellion, discovery, devotion and sadness.

I really do urge you, (if you haven't seen it before) to give it a watch. You forget the film is over 60 years old!

I did a fair bit of research before going as I wanted to make sure I saw everything I wanted - I found some blogs of use but I'm hoping this blog post will make it easier for others to find the filming spots!

So where do I start? Maybe chronologically in the film might be best.




Via Dei Fori Imperiali
(Where Joe first met Princess Ann)


I couldn't find the exact spot because I think the archway and columns in the background of this photo have since come down.



Via Margutta 51



Original detail Canopy


So this is the scene - quite far into the movie, is where 'Princess Ann' leaves 'Joe Bradley's' apartment after staying for the night (it's not as bad as it sounds)


(L-R Entrance to apartments leads to stairs (Pic far right), Porters room (had to take a snap as they had posters from the film), Stairs that both Audrey & Gregory walked up and down!

Admittedly I don't think we were supposed to go up the stairs, it's now private apartments. I just had to have a sneak peek of the top of the stairs to see if it was the right staircase.



Leaving Via Margutta 51



Standing outside the apartment block entrance.


I knew I was in the right place when I found this plaque!



Next stop: Trevi Fountain


Screengrab of Audrey Hepburn walking towards the fountains.


This architectural sculpture is on the right hand side of the film still above.



Of course it was only natural that I tried to recreate the moment. This is the spot she would have stood on when she came across the hairdressers. It was really weird seeing how the shop has changed into two premises, from memory it was a leather bag shop and a souvenir shop.



G.ROCCA


Unfortunately the cafe no longer exists but we had our own little sidewalk cafe champagne experience at Tre Scalini who are famous for their 'Il Tartufo'. When it came with the option of champagne I had to sample that combination.


Tre Scalini is in the Piazza Novona square where there is a fountain and an artist square.

Look who we spotted.. 




Bocca della Verità





The Mouth Of Truth was a very popular monument. We must have queued about an hour and a half to get our picture taken with him.

Nevertheless it was a fabulous experience!

And neither of us had our hands bitten off so that's a plus.


Palazzo Colonna


The one place we didn't get to visit was the Palazzo Colonna. Which is such a shame because it looks absolutely beautiful on photographs. It features in the end of Roman Holiday when Princess Ann meets the press. It's only open to the public for guided tours on Saturday mornings so if your going to Rome for a few days make sure you leave room for it in your itinerary.

I was suffering from a little too much heat I think as it was 38° on our first full day in Rome. We went for a total of 4 days and golly we had to walk and cram a lot in to see what we did!





I do hope you enjoyed reading about my findings in Rome and the spots I visited. It was a dream come true to retrace Audrey Hepburn's steps. The film will always have a special place in my heart and now so will Rome.

If you've got any questions about locations etc please feel free to comment or drop me an email on Emma.louise321@hotmail.co.uk

I'm more than happy to share with you tip and tricks for getting around Rome and exact addresses!










You Might Also Like

0 comments